At present, Easterseals, a nationwide main supplier of providers for individuals with disabilities, introduced it has acquired $230,000 in grants from the Comcast Foundation as a part of the Comcast NBCUniversal Assistive Technology Grant Fund, established in 2011. This fund helps know-how packages and providers that profit youngsters and adults, together with veterans, dwelling with disabilities. These applied sciences can differ from braille-equipped handheld pc methods to augmentative communication units and every little thing in between.
Ten Easterseals associates, together with the Easterseals nationwide workplace, are among the many recipients chosen by way of a aggressive course of. The chosen associates excel in packages that present help and providers for individuals with disabilities.
“For their continued support of Easterseals and people with disabilities, we thank Comcast for their investment in assistive technology solutions,” stated Angela F. Williams, President and CEO, Easterseals. “These grants give Easterseals the ability to offer additional creative and innovative solutions to individuals and families living with disabilities so they can live, learn, work and play in their communities.”
“We believe in the power of technology and are proud to support Easterseals in its mission to use assistive technology to help ensure that people with disabilities have every opportunity to be active participants in their lives and communities,” stated Fred Maahs, Vice President of the Comcast Foundation and 1st Vice Chairman of the Board at Easterseals. “We are confident that together we can help children and adults gain more independence, unlock new opportunities, and achieve great things.”
Comcast has awarded $50,000 to the Easterseals nationwide workplace for the event of a PSA to be used throughout Easterseals’ 100th Anniversary in 2019, in addition to for different help delivered by the nationwide workplace to its community of 73 associates. The remaining $180,000 in grant funds shall be cut up throughout 10 Easterseals associates to help assistive know-how packages as outlined under:
- Easterseals Serving DC, Maryland, and Virginia will present help to a variety of shoppers with disabilities to be able to enhance their useful capabilities, potential to completely take part of their communities, and finally their high quality of life. They’re increasing to type a partnership with the State of Maryland to open a state-of-the artwork Assistive Technology Demonstration Middle that may supply people with a variety of disabilities the chance to attempt units that may assist enhance their high quality of life and improve their independence and skill to take part in day by day actions.
- Easterseals Massachusetts will proceed its Assistive Technology Vocational Rehabilitation program, which offers assistive know-how and coaching from specialists to assist disabled people efficiently acquire and keep schooling, improve profession alternatives and maximize their capacity to carry out important expertise.
- Easterseals Southeastern Pennsylvania will broaden entry to assistive know-how options that improve a person’s independence, empower employees and people/households to create and make the most of assistive know-how, and improve useful expertise of individuals with disabilities by way of using “maker spaces” – collaborative work areas using 3D printers for studying, exploring and making and sharing this excessive tech device to unravel on a regular basis challenges.
- Easterseals South Florida will associate with College Of Miami’s Middle for Autism and Associated Issues on the design and supply of a best-practice elementary faculty classroom for youngsters with Autism Spectrum Dysfunction. By way of this collaboration, college school members, researchers, and professionals inside the College of Miami’s Faculty of Psychology and CARD will design, information, and assess the supply of best-practice, evidence-based methods for using know-how to immediate elementary-aged college students with Autism Spectrum Dysfunction to provoke and full educational and every day life expertise which are important for his or her ongoing progress and improvement.
- Easterseals Serving Chicagoland and Rockford and The Catalyst Knowledge Assortment and Evaluation System Challenge will leverage the documented efficacy of Utilized Behavioral Evaluation (ABA) within the autism classroom by empowering academics to constantly gather knowledge on focused, socially-significant behaviors (teachers, social expertise, communication, adaptive dwelling expertise, and so on.) with a purpose to determine and make use of particular interventions which might be working greatest for every scholar.
- Easterseals North Georgia will develop and pilot STEM curriculum by way of analysis inside 24 of their lecture rooms. This assistive know-how grant will provide the iStartSmart dietary supplements for 5 lecture rooms, impacting a complete of 100 youngsters.
- Easterseals Washington will increase its Technology Achievement Middle (TAC) initiatives for adults and older adults with disabilities, together with autism and Alzheimer’s Illness. They may open two new TAC’s in King and Kitsap counties, which can present lots of of adults and seniors with restricted mobility, reminiscence challenges and mental disabilities with help and providers.
- Easterseals Colorado will increase the Comcast Employment and Technology Middle, which offers coaching and help to deal with members’ short- and long-term know-how wants and their efforts to be extra self-reliant and to combine into society and the workforce.
- Easterseals Oregon will increase their Senior Group Service Employment Program (SCSEP) in 18 counties in Oregon. SCSEP is the nation’s oldest program to assist make use of low-income adults aged 55+. With this grant, they may present further assistive know-how help to construct their digital literacy expertise by giving them the chance to enhance their pc expertise and finally safe everlasting employment.
- Easterseals Higher Houston and BridgingApps will increase the obtainable gear utilized in its group know-how labs. BridgingApps supplies a bridge between low-cost, available know-how and other people with disabilities. In addition, this system offers coaching for academics, docs, therapists, relations, and caregivers of the individual with a incapacity.
Since 2011, the Comcast NBCUniversal Assistive Technology Grant Fund has empowered an estimated 50,000 People dwelling with disabilities by offering expanded assistive know-how coaching and providers. For instance, in Indianapolis the grant fund led to the launch of BITES (Mind Damage Technology Schooling and Help), which meets each month at Easterseals Crossroads to discover quite a lot of assistive know-how units and coping methods for people with mind accidents. BITES introduces its members to an ever-expanding world of assistive know-how, together with every thing from voice recorders and vibrating alarms to cellular apps that includes reminiscence video games, meditation strategies, temper monitoring and extra. Though BITES focuses largely on know-how, it additionally offers social and emotional help — not just for individuals with mind accidents however for his or her households and caregivers as nicely.
Thus far, Comcast NBCUniversal has offered almost $35 million in money and in-kind help to assist Easterseals and to advance assistive know-how options nationwide.
For almost 100 years, Easterseals has been the indispensable useful resource for individuals and households dealing with incapacity. Via the work we do in communities throughout America, Easterseals is altering the best way the world defines and views incapacity by making constructive, profound variations in individuals’s lives day-after-day. For extra info go to www.easterseals.com.
Concerning the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was based by Comcast Company in June 1999 to offer charitable help to certified non-profit organizations. The Foundation’s main mission is to empower communities to thrive by offering entry to know-how, related digital expertise and coaching, and galvanizing volunteerism, service and management. The Foundation invests in packages meant to have a constructive, sustainable impression on the communities we serve. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated $220 million to organizations within the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. Extra details about how Comcast helps the communities it serves is on the market at www.comcast.com/group.
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.6”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));
window.fbAsyncInit = perform()
var js, id = ‘facebook-jssdk’; if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(‘script’); js.id = id; js.async = true;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js”;